Occupy Faith

Occupy Faith
Click thru to site

LECTIONARY

LECTIONARY
Click thru to site

Friday, February 23, 2007

Seasons of the Soul: Fasting and abstinence

Fasting and abstinence is an ancient tradition of the Christian church. Since Reformation times, some Protestant churches have moved away from the practice but the late 20th century saw many of these churches and individuals return to the practice. Much of this return to tradition could be attributed to the writing of the Evangelical Quaker, Richard Foster, and his Renovare movement.

Traditional Lenten practice in the Christian Church in the western tradition is that Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fast and abstinence and all Fridays in Lent are days of abstinence. Fasting means one main meal during the day and, if necessary, two smaller meals to keep up one's strength. These smaller meals should not exceed the main meal. Abstinence means abstaining from meat. Beef and poultry are out on days of abstinence but fish is permitted. From this tradition of fasting and abstinence during Lent comes the tradition of "giving up" something for Lent i.e. children might decide to give up lollies, men might give up alcohol and so on.

The purpose of such practices is to encourage a penitent way of life during this season of the soul remembering our dependency on God and how sinful human nature impeded, and continues to impede, our relationship with our Creator and brought Jesus to the Cross.

3 comments:

  1. Members and attenders of Crossway congregations, which this year looks like including me, have spent the past 3 weeks praying and fasting. For health reasons, it's not a good idea to do a complete food fast, so for the past 3 weeks, I've gone without playing computer games. It's definitely an underrated spiritual discipline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross, I have to-day been talking to a colleague at work who attends Crossway. She has been telling me about the fast - says 400 people have been attending meetings on Wednesdays (if my memory is correct). I have rung Crossway to-day and was put through to Margaret Robertson's voicemail and have left a message asking if someone can contact me and that I would like someone to do a small article for To the Desert about the enterprise. It is so timely, it seems to me. Perhaps you would like to undertake the task. Please email me at the address on the sidebar and I will get back to you with my telephone number and we could discuss it - or make time for a coffee up at Glen Waverley on Sunday to talk about. Wotcha think? If you don't want to go so far as writing the post, if we met for coffee perhaps I could interview you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Miss Eagle, I'd be up for that. Please check your email, if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete