I have just received these photos of the Quaker Meeting held at Pine Gap. To learn what is happening at the trial of the Pine Gap 4, click on: http://www.pinegapontrial.blogspot.com/
From: Jessica Morrison
Sent: Monday, 11 June 2007 9:32 PM
To: Hess Dale
Subject: Quaker Meeting at the Gates of Pine Gap - was it the first?
I thought Friends may be interested in this,
On Saturday 9th June, 25 people attended a Quaker meeting for worship 20 kms outside Alice Springs. The venue was the front gates of Pine Gap, a US/Australian Joint Defence Facility (also known as a US spy base), and the site of many protests.
While this was the first meeting for worship, this group of activists were able to grasp the process quickly (apart from sitting still for so long!).
- Hindu mantras;the query relating to seeds of conflict in ourselves;
- stories of civil disobedience by Quakers;
- that prophets went into the desert to find God and
- that we go into the desert to find the truth about our country;
- the nature of silence; and
- the experience to attend the base in listening, rather than broadcasting of our opinions.