Occupy Faith

Occupy Faith
Click thru to site

LECTIONARY

LECTIONARY
Click thru to site

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Season of the Soul: Prayer (II)

Evangelical Sisterhood of Mary
Prayer (II)
Of what an easy quick access,
My blessed Lord, you are! how suddenly
May our requests your ear invade!
To show that state dislikes not easiness,
If I but lift mine eyes, my suit is made:
You can no more not hear, than you can die.

Of what supreme almighty power
Is your great arm, which spans the east and west,
And tacks the center to the sphere!
By it do all things live their measured hour:
We cannot ask the thing, which is not there,
Blaming the shallowness of our request.

Of what unmeasureable love
Are you possessed, who, when you could not die,
Were glad to take our flesh and curse,
And for our sakes in person sin reprove,
That by destroying that which tied your purse,
You might make way for liberality!

Since then these three wait on your throne,
Ease, Power, and Love; I value prayer so,
That were I to leave all but one,
Wealth, fame, endowments, virtues, all should go;
I and dear prayer would together dwell,
And quickly gain, for each inch lost, an
ell.

No comments:

Post a Comment